Saturday, February 9, 2008

6L6GC SET "Simpleton" amp

"Simpleton" 6L6GC Single Ended Triode

1.5 watt per block

1x 6SL7 drives 2x 6L6GC

Designed by me

Sold on eBay!

Built on 9/2/07

I happened to have a aluminum base painted in cashmere beige for another project the never got finished. It was a perfect fit for the top plate. The 6L6GCs are brand new Svetlanas that I orignally bought for my ST-70, but I wasn't impressed with how it sounded with those tubes. So, I am using a matched pair for this amp and the other for a guitar amp. The 6SL7 is nearly NOS Tung-Sol. They all look neat with the brown base. The rectifier tube (6X5) is Sylvania.


This amp sounds pretty good. I was a bit concerned with the 7.5k primary on those Valve Juinor OPTs, but multiple secondaries allowed for experimentation and I liked 4 ohms tap to 8 ohms load with my speakers the best. The bias is very similar to 6V6 tubes, so I tried those on the amp and it sounded great with a plenty of SET power. All in all, this project was a success. I built it to sale on eBay, I like it enough that I might just keep it...



No comments: