Wednesday, March 5, 2008

WE91 clone Project

WE91 (Western Electric 91) 300B Clone Amp

JJ 300B (4oW heat dissipation) driven by
5693 pentodes

Conservatively around 9 wpc

Completed Feb 2008

So, I have been building loads of SET amps in pursuit of sonic perfection (more like psychological warfare) and I have come to a conclusion that such a thing is unattainable until I built this. I guess what really happen was I built something that I can be content with for a long time to come. I have built several DHT single ended triode amps with big bottles such as 300Bs, 6B4Gs, 2A3s, etc. in various combinations of designs, and I kept finding myelf comparing them not upto par with some of the Darling amps that I built. What was really disappointing was that Darling amps cost only 1/3 of these amps to build!

I did have high hopes in the WE91A. I have been studying this amp for a while on the web, and, after talking with Raymond Koonce who built many of WE91A clones, I decided to embark on building one for myself. It wasn’t an easy decision because parts cost alone was going to be well over a grand. I also wanted to custom paint the chassis, so it was going to be double the work.




I really didn't want to compromise on parts used for this amp. I wanted make sure that this amps will last for a long time to come. Every part used well exceeded in their respective power handling ratings. A good example of this is the Hammond's OPTs that are rated 30W. The amps only puts out 9 wpc. There are in all 9 irons, three of which weigh 35 lbs together. My estimate of the finished amp is around 55 lbs.


I detest tube amps with PCBs, mostly because I like to do things in old school fashion. Everything is point-to-point wired. I tried using as few electrolytics as possible. The only places that I used electrolytics were bypass and filament bias caps. The bypass caps are Black Gates. I used Solens in many places. The coupling caps are Hovlands. The filter caps (large silvers one sticking out on top) are oil filled ASC polypropylene caps. I could have saved a lot of money using alternate parts, but I didn't want to. The power supply section is very robust with a split rail PS with separate chokes.




I was originally going to have the chassis and iron bells powdercoated, but it didn't work out due high cost and lead time. So, I decided to just spray paint the whole thing using automotive paint and clearcoat. It was a lot of work. I put on at least 5 coats of cherry red paint + buffing with rubbing compound in between coats. I then put on about 8 layers of clearcoats with buffing in between coats. I then baked the whole thing at 145'F overnight. I guess it came out alright. I also have to mention that I learnt an important lesson. I neglected to wear a respirator while spraying and really compromised my immune system. I came down with the flu the next day, from which I was bedridden for 3 days. The flu lasted about a full week.


I have never punched or drilled this many holes before. I still marvel at how I fitted all that stuff in a 17x10x3 steel chassis.

Ok, so how did it sound? When I heard it play music for the first time, I said to myself, "Finally, this is what I'm talking about!" I think I have finally found a 300B amp that I could fall in love with. JE Labs 300B was alright, so was GSG 300B hybrid, but they weren't anything that I would get excited about.

The WE91A is so SMOOTH. This amp makes listening so effortless. Even with some of tube amps I have, which I think are decent sounding by anyone's standard, I would get hearing fatigue after a few hours. This one could sing the whole day for I care.
I don't know what it is - 5693 pentode drivers, the design, voodoo- whatever it is it's working for me and I am loving it. Was it worth the flu, money, and time? Absolutely! All that was forgotten when I heard it play my favorite records for the first time.

5 comments:

Min and Mary said...

Don't you feel bad that nobody ever comments on your blog? How do you know that anyone is even reading it? I think it's a beautiful shade of red, honey. Worth all the poisoning you went through to get just the right finish.

Min and Mary said...

Are you noticing my comments? It sounds pretty good too...not sure you should sell it though, after all the sacrifice you went through.

Min and Mary said...

...
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a great looking amp! There really aren't that many web pages about the 91 so finding yours was a nice surprise.

I have been slowly collecting the parts to build a pair and I now have almost everything except the chassis.

Cheers!
-Tom

Min and Mary said...

Thank you Tom. Go to my website: www.tubeaudiolab.com for more WE91A projects. I have built about a dozen for people around the world since this one. Min